Section 1 – Conservation Districts Overview
Section 2 – State Laws and Regulations applicable to conservation districts
- Sample public hearing notice
- Sample budget affidavit
- Sample budget amendment resolution
- Sample budget amendment legal notice
Special District Accounting Handbook – This link takes you to the Wyoming Department of Audit Public Funds Division website. Click on Manuals and Select Special District Handbook to download.
- Sample Inventory Worksheet – MS Word file
- Template Public Records Rule
- Template Public Records Rule Notice
- Department of Administration & Information; Chapter 2 Rules: Uniform Procedures, Fees, Costs, and Charges for Inspection, Copying, and Producing Public Records
- Department of Administration & Information Designated Public Records Person database
- Department of Administration & Information, Form to submit Designated Public Records Person
Districts are required to keep and archive records. For additional information on records retention schedules, records to be kept in perpetuity, discarded etc. please refer to the State Department of Archives.
- Department of Revenue Rules, Chapter 2 – This link will take you to the Wyoming Administration Rules Database.
- Districts are exempt from paying sales tax. However, districts are required to collect and remit sales tax on products sold. For more information contact the Wyoming Department of Revenue.
To apply for an exempt license plate please refer to the Wyoming Department of Transportation.
Taxation and Revenue; Ad Valorem Taxation; Administration Wyoming § 39-13-102 (p) (Statute on boundary description requirement to Department of Revenue)
- Rule: Revenue Dept.; Property Tax; Chapter 21: Tax District Mapping (link is to Secretary of State Rule database)
- Application for Nursery Stock License (Required if selling seedling trees)
Counties; Planning & Zoning; Real Estate Subdivisions Wyoming § 18-5-301 (Pertains to Conservation District subdivision review requirements)
- Please refer to the training presentation on Subdivision reviews for additional information.
- District are required to follow the preference provisions of the statute. Please refer to the training presentation on Procurement for additional information.
Administration of Government; Department of Administration & Information; General Services Division Wyoming § 9-2-1016 (NOTE: As of January 2020 Districts are not required to follow the above listed statute for procurement. The link has been provided for guidance when purchasing supplies and equipment. A template procurement rule has been developed for district use in developing a local rule/policy.
- Template procurement rule
- Template procurement rule notice
- State of Wyoming Procurement Service – https://www.publicpurchase.com/
Note: All districts are encouraged to register with public purchase.com to advertise opportunities for project/services bids.
Index of Attorney Generals opinions pertaining to Conservation District matters can be found on the WY Department of Agriculture Website.
Wyoming Department of Environmental Quality
Environmental Quality Act Wyoming § 35-11-101
Wyoming Surface Water Quality Standards – Chapter 1 (link to Wyoming Administration Rules database)
State Laws and Regulations affecting employees and employers
Fair Employment Practices Wyoming § 27-9-101
Section 3 – Board of Supervisors
- Application for Election
- Campaign Reporting
- Supervisor Oath of Office
- Sample Supervisor attendance policy
- Supervisor Vacancy and Removal
- W-9 form
- Signature Facsimile Registration Form
Section 4 District Operations
- Guidance on Local Land Use & Natural Resource Management Plans
- Sample Public Notice as per APA
- Sample Resolution of Adoption
Section 5 – Personnel Management
Independent Contract Labor – Please refer to the Department of Employment training module for more information on determining an independent contractor.
For sample contracts for conservation districts engagement of a contractor, please contact WACD.
Requirement to Report New Hire
For more information on supervisory roles in discipline refer to the Local Government Liability Pool training module
- Sample Administrative Assistant Job Description
- Sample District Manager Job Description
- Sample Natural Resource Coordinator Job Description
- Sample Performance Review Evaluation Form
Employee Benefits – Health, Dental and Retirement
Section 6 – Funding
Local Mill Levy Funding
Forming a Political Action Committee to raise funds for mill levy campaign activities
Suggestions to Inform and Educate your local public
Sample Mill Levy Strategy and Budget – MS Excel file
- Sample Mill Levy Campaign materials
4 year average
Power Point Presentation 1
Power Point Presentation 2
Summary of Efforts
Letter to the Editor
Wyoming Department of Agriculture – State Base Funding
Please visit this link for all requirements pertaining to district base funding through the Wyoming Department of Agriculture.
Districts are required to participate in the Local Government Liability Pool as a condition of receiving state funding. Additional information is available here https://www.lglpwyoming.org/
Wyoming Department of Agriculture – Water Quality Funding
Please visit this link for all requirements pertaining to water quality lab through the Wyoming Department of Agriculture.
Please visit this link for all requirements pertaining to water quality grant funds through the Wyoming Department of Agriculture.
Please note that all water quality grant proposals, amendment and extension requests should be submitted to WACD for the WACD Board review ranking and approval recommendations to the Board of Agriculture.
Wyoming Department of Agriculture – Rangeland Health Assessment Program Please visit this link for information to apply for RHAP funds
Wyoming Department of Environmental Quality – Water Quality grant programs
Please visit this link for information to apply for Section 319 and 205j water quality planning and watershed implementation grants.
Wyoming Wildlife & Natural Resource Trust Program
Please visit this link for information to apply for WNRTF funds for wildlife and natural resource enhancement project.
Wyoming Water Development Program
Please visit this link for more information on applying for Watershed planning, Small Water Projects Program and other water development funding opportunities through WWDC.
Wyoming State Forestry
Please visit this link for more information on funding availability for forestry restoration and urban and community forestry projects.
Wyoming USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service
Please visit this link for more information on many sources of funds for producers and collaborative conservation projects.
US Fish & Wildlife Service Partners for Wildlife Program
Please visit this link for more information on many sources of funds for wildlife habitat enhancement projects.
Section 7 – Legislative and Media Relations
Parliamentary Procedure – Here is a link to Robert’s Rules of Order. Generally, districts are encouraged to utilize this resource for conducting meetings. Please note however, that some provision do not apply such as Chairman voting.